Jobs to do this month include:
- Continue to deadhead.
- Trim Lavenders to woody growth to keep them compact.
- Begin to clear leaves as necessary.
- Keep borders clear of weeds.
- Take cuttings of tender perennials.
- Continue to deadhead bedding plants
- Plan for next year’s garden displays.
- Collect seed from perennials / hardy annuals.
- Start planting spring bulbs
- Lift and divide herbaceous perennials.
- Start planting trees and shrubs towards the end of the month and move evergreen shrubs etc while the soil is still warm.
- Collect and get rid of any infected roses leaves.
- Once the tassels on sweet corn has turned brown check whether the cobs are ready to harvest. When ripe the kernels contain a milky liquid.
- Leave marrows, squashes, pumpkins etc to ripen on the plant. Place fruit on a wooden board to prevent soiling.
- Plant onions / shallots suitable for over wintering (on heavy wet soils spring planting may be preferable).
- Continue harvesting fruit.
- Harvest main crop potatoes.
- Sow winter greens such as land cress, mustard spinach, corn salad and hardy lettuce cultivars.