Jobs to be doing this month include:
- Lightly trim box balls – traditionally on Derby Day 6th June!! Would be nice to encourage the box topiary to grow larger while retaining the shape.
- Deadheading – Salvias as the flower heads go over, penstemons, roses etc.
- Spray any plants infected with aphids or black fly.
- Prune early flowering clematis.
- Cut back foliage of tulips.
- Trim other shrubs to shape as necessary.
- Plant warm season grasses such as penisetum and panicum
- Treat bindweed/groundelder and other invasive weeds growing among other plants by applying a glyphosate based weedkiller to their leaves.
- Prune ornamental cherries after their flowers have faded.
- There is still time to sow quick germinating annuals such as cosmos.
- Sow winter bedding such as violas etc.
- Cut back oriental poppies/pulmonaria etc after they have flowered. Remove all leaf as well to allow for fresh leave to sprout.
- Remove reverted shoots form variegated shrubs etc.
- Direct Sow carrots for autumn and winter harvest
- Sow Florence fennel and chicory.
- Plant out leeks once they are pencil thick.
- Put straw round strawberries.
- Water potatoes for good sized tubers.
- Feed tomatoes regularly
- Ventilate greenhouse.