Jobs to be done in January:
- If the ground is waterlogged then keep off the soil to avoid compaction and worsening the conditions.
- If snow falls – Do not let the snow sit on the shrubs, gently shake off to prevent damage.
- Prune bush or standard apples and pears, aiming to create an open framework of about 5 main branches.
- Sweet Peas can be sown this month and those sown in the autumn can be potted on. Place them in a sunny greenhouse, coldframe or windowsill.
- Plan annual cut flowers for the borders.
- Mulch borders if not already done in autumn.
- Plant deciduous hedges.
- Move deciduous trees and shrubs if necessary.
- Ensure protective coverings such as fleece / mulch have remained in place over frost tender plants.
- Avoid walking on turf when the grass is covered with frost or is waterlogged.
- Protect brassicas from pigeons with cloches, netting or fleece.
- Harvest Winter Veg such as parsnip, swede, sprouts, leeks and turnip.
- Remove one third of the oldest stems of blackcurrants at ground level to encourage new basal shoots.