Jobs to do this month include:
• Give the borders one last tidy before Christmas by removing any debris, leaves etc.
• Check newly planted shrubs for wind rock (loosened soil around base) after strong winds firming soil.
• Avoid any pruning when frost or snow is forecast.
• Replenish birdfeeders as soon as they run out.
• Plant winter flowering shrubs like daphne and sarcococca.
• Prune acer, betula before mid December to avoid bleeding cuts.
• Mulch if the weather is still mild.
• Harvest winter veg like sprouts etc.
• Clear any remaining plant debris and compost.
• Prune free standing apples, pears, currants and gooseberries.
• Do not prune stone fruit until spring to avoid silver leaf disease.
• Prune grape vines by mid December.
• Continue to plant fruit bushes etc.
• Divide and re plant rhubarb.
• Lag outdoor taps and pipes to avoid them freezing.
• Ventilate greenhouse on mild days.